Director of Education
For more than 25 years, Jade Shutes has been an aromatherapy advocate, teacher and scholar whose achievements have not only enriched the lives of her clients and students, but have set educational standards that continue to guide the industry.
Her personal journey:
After attending college in Boston, she set off to explore her roots in the English countryside. She immersed herself in the Bluebell Forest, finding delight in getting to know wild medicinal plants and sacred trees — an education in nature itself. That education grew into revelation when, seeking help for chronic back pain, she was treated—and she might say transformed—by an aromatherapy massage. From that point on, her path was clear, and she began her formal education in the powers of herbal and aromatic medicine.
Inspired, she set forth on her educational path, earning her professional qualification in Holistic Aromatherapy and Reflexology from the Raworth Centre and certification from the International Therapist Examining Board (ITEC), continuing her studies across the UK with Jan Kusmirek of Fragrant Earth.
Returning home with an intention to practice, she was amazed to discover that aromatherapy was nearly unheard-of in the US! From that realization and her personal dedication and passion for aromatherapy, the School for Aromatic Studies was born.
In establishing one of the first aromatherapy schools in North America, this was also the first of many leading roles for Jade: as two time president of the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA), the guiding industry organization; as an industry consultant on educational standards; as researcher and author; as a visionary bringing together diverse talents to expand the education for aromatherapists and herbalists alike; and lately as visionary of a distillation project, Distill Aromatics, advocating for more local plant distillation and sustainability for aromatic and medicinal plants. Now well-traveled and globally consulted, Jade is still making her greatest discoveries as a gardener, aromatherapist, herbalist, mother, and life-long student.
- Aromatherapy educator and practitioner with 25+ years of experience
- Author, Aromatherapy for Bodyworkers textbook
- President of the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA), 2 terms, 2000-2003 and 2012-2014
- Current Past President of the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (2014 - present)
- Professional Member of NAHA
- Consulting educator: Bastyr University, Duke University, Ashmead College, San Diego Hospice
- Guest Speaker, Aromatherapy Association of Japan, 2002
- Speaker at Beyond Aromatics (Seattle, WA) and Beyond Aromatics II (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Participant on Expert Panel at Beyond Aromatics II
- Current full time student - The Eclectic School of Herbal Medicine - Integrative Herbal Medicine, 2017-2018 term.
- Completed First Year: M.S. in Herbal Medicine, Maryland University of Integrative Health, Laurel, MD.
- French Herbal and Aromatic Medicine Course, France, 2014 with Sevensong and Cathy Skipper.
- Bachelor of Arts, Simmons College, Boston, MA, 1989
- Diploma of Holistic Aromatherapy, Raworth Institute, Dorking, England, U.K., 1991
- Diploma of Reflexology, Raworth Institute, Dorking, England, U.K., 1991
- Advanced Essential Oil program certificate, Purdue University, Part I, Summer 1996
- Certificate of Herbal Medicine: Foundations, Erin Groh, Marysville, WA, Spring, 2004
- Certificate of Spa Bodywork Instructor Education: Anne Williams, Abingdon, VI, August, 2007