Summer solstice or midsummer, also known as Litha in pagan culture, is the time of year when Earth’s axis is most aligned with the sun, blessing us with the year’s longest day and shortest night. It is also a perfect time to celebrate fertility and abundance, to experience our full potential, unlock our creative flow, and visualize and manifest our goals.
As I considered synergies that would support this intention, I naturally orbited around oils that resonate with the solar plexus chakra, and the color yellow. Our third chakra, located two inches above our navel and just below our sternum, says: “I manifest”. It is the center of our inner energy, associated with clarity, decision making, self-confidence, and self empowerment.
Though my selection of essential oils was energetically inspired, I also considered what chemistry could bring to the equation. I chose to include essential oils of the monoterpene family, thought to be energizing, uplifting and refreshing.
Midsummer Daydream Synergy Recipe
Unite with midsummer’s creative essence by using essential oils to boost receptivity, energy, purify, and create movement.
Ginger (Zingiber officinale): Promotes clarity, boosts confidence, brings motivation and energy, and assists self-empowerment. 3 drops
Lemon (Citrus limonum): Cleanses and refreshes, brings clarity and rejuvenation, and helps clear negative blockages. 5 drops
Safety note: Lemon essential oil may exhibit phototoxic activity. If you apply it on your skin, wait at least 12 -24 hours before exposing your skin to the sun.
Frankincense (Boswellia carterii): Brings purification, eases tension and stills the mind, supports reflection, and introspection. 4 drops
Juniper (Juniperus communis): Stimulates, strengthens, provides motivation and willpower. 4 drops
Black spruce (Picea mariana): Deepens the breath, stimulates energy, enhances movement and promotes stamina. 4 drops
Summer Motivation Mist
- Add all 20 drops of Midsummer’s Daydream Synergy to a clean 2 oz. bottle with spray top.
- Swirl to blend essential oils, then fill bottle with distilled water.
- Label with instructions to shake well each time before spraying around or on the body to enjoy the refreshing effect.
- Note: Eyes should be closed when misting the face. Keep in the fridge for extra relief from summer heat!
Other Ways to Use Your Midsummer Synergy
- Add 10 drops of Midsummer Synergy to your water diffuser for morning inspiration.
- Mix the synergy with two cups of sea salt and ½ cup of your choice of carrier oil for an energetic body scrub to use in the shower.
- Create your own pocket inhaler by soaking the cotton core with all 20 drops of the synergy.
Happy Summer Solstice!
Aromatherapy and Subtle Energy Techniques, Loughran and Bull
Foundations of Aromatherapy, Jade Shutes
Wicca, Scott Cunningham