Ladies and Gentlemen, the spring equinox is nearly upon us! Everyday will be filled with a bit more daylight and the Earth will be exploding with new life. This is the time to transition routines for warmer weather. We can modify our wardrobes to lighter tones and our diets to lighter plant based cuisine. It’s also a time to carefully observe your skin. For three months you have been exposed to brisk winter winds, snow, sleet and rain. During this season of rebirth listen to your skin as it adapts to the new weather conditions. Here are a few suggestions to help you get a head start. For spring essential oil blends I aim to use oils that support progress and change.
Tip Number 1: Exfoliate
Wash away the winter build up on your skin. Exfoliate with cleansing essential oils.
Dirty Dude Apothecary Spring Scrub Recipe
Spring Cleansing Essential Oil Blend:
- Lemon (Citrus limon) – 28 drops
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) – 12 drops
- Petitgrain (Citrus aurantium var amara) – 16 drops
- Pine (Pinus sylvestris) – 12 drops
- Atlas Cedar (Cedrus atlantica) – 32 drops
- 8 oz. mason jar
- 6 oz. finely ground sugar
- 2 oz. olive oil
- Spring Cleansing Essential Oil Blend
Steps to Make:
Step 1: Mix the sugar and olive oil in the mason jar.
Step 2: Stir in the Spring Scrub Essential Oil Blend a bit at a time.
*This scrub is safe for a face, body or feet. Be sure to rinse completely to avoid potential photoxicity from the lemon essential oil.
Tip Number 2: Switch Up Your Moisturizer
Ditch any thick face creams. Try lighter oils with a blend that promotes circulation and movement in the skin.
Spring Face Oil
Base Oil Ingredients:
- 1 tsp Castor oil
- 1 tsp Red raspberry seed oil (Natural SPF)
- 2 tsp Argan oil
- 2 tsp Jojoba oil
Anti-Stagnation Essential Oil Blend:
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) – 3 drops
- Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) – 4 drops
- Bergaptene free Bergamot (Citrus bergamia) – 8 drops
- Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) – 3 drops
- Palo Santo (Bursera graveolens) – 2 drops
- 1oz bottle with dropper top
- Blended base oils
- Anti-stagnation essential oil blend
Steps to Make:
Step 1: Add 6 drops of Anti-stagnation Essential Oil Blend to 1 oz. dropper bottle.
Step 2: Add base oils to 1 oz. dropper bottle.
Step 3: Cap your bottle and shake to blend.
This anti-stagnation essential oil blend is also great to add to a body oil if you’d like!
Or try using a blend of bergamot, coriander and cypress as an effective remedy for muscle and joint pains. Use about 10 drops of the essential oil blend for each ounce of oil. If you use bergaptene-containing bergamot, avoid sun exposure due to its phototoxic effects.
You can use the base oil blend above or simply use 100% of your favorite seed/vegetable oils or butters as the base for full body application.