With wintery weather upon us, it is a good time to make some aromatic play dough!
- 3 cups flour
- 1.5 cups salt (we used sea salt)
- 2 Tbsp. cream of tartar (important!)
- 3 Tbsp. of cooking oil (we used organic canola oil but you could use jojoba, sesame, or other oil)
- 3 cups boiling water
- Coloring (we used concentrated water colors for coloring play dough)
This is a recipe I got from Arts Together last year.
How to make:
1. Combine all dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
2. Bring water to a boil. Combine hot water and oil.
3. Pour hot mixture over dry ingredients and stir well.
4. Place warm play dough onto table and need until all dry ingredients are moist and well combined.
5. Divide up balls of dough.
6. Take a ball and spread out a bit, add in drops of essential oils (if you divide original mix into 4 or 5 balls, then each ball will get about 10-14 drops of essential oil, depending on which essential oils you use and how strong you want it to be).
For the blue ball, we added 10 drops of Lavender essential oil, the yellow ball – 12 drops of Sweet Orange, the pink ball – 12 drops of Grapefruit, the orange ball – none, and the green ball – 10-12 drops of Lavender.
7. Add about 10 drops of chosen coloring with the essential oils and then knead it together. It takes a bit of kneading to get coloring and essential oils to combine with material. Soren loves the kneading and then I finish it off.
8. Once all ingredients are well combine, the fun continues!
9. Store play dough in a glass containers to keep for a month or two.