I have been making, using, and sharing this respiratory salve for as long as I can remember. It is a favorite among our students for sure! And each year I make a batch of salve along with cough syrup for gifts to family and friends. Whether someone has a cold or is just feeling a lack of ojas/vitality/immunity, this salve can be of service.
How to use?
We recommend the salve be massaged onto the neck, chest, upper back, and feet (if going to bed). Do not instill into the nose. With children under the age of 2, we recommend replacing the 1,8 cineole rich essential oils with gentler essential oils with an affinity to the respiratory system. Recipe given below. Feel free to increase essential oil dosage for adults. I tend to recommend about 40 drops per 1/2 ounce to make it extra strong when needed for a cold or lots of congestion!
Here’s what you’ll need:
◻︎ 1/4 ounce beeswax
◻︎ 1/4 cup sesame, sweet almond or jojoba or combination
◻︎ 1 tbsp Calendula herbal oil (or if you have it, cottonwood herbal oil) or just more of your vegetable oil of choice!
◻︎ Essential oils
Recipe 1 – To make a 5ml synergy (120 drops) – 40 drops Eucalyptus globulus, 22 drops Peppermint (Mentha x piperita), and 58 drops Rosemary ct. cineole (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Recipe 2 – To make a 5 ml synergy: 40 drops Green myrtle (Myrtus communis), 50 drops Frankincense (Boswellia carteri) and 30 drops Niaouli (Melaleuca quinquinervia)
Recipe 3: For kids under age of 2 – 3ml synergy (75 drops)
20 drops Pinon pine (Pinus edulis), 35 drops Frankincense (Boswellia carteri) and 20 drops Fir (Abies balsamea)
How to make the salve: (Makes approx. 3.5 ounces)
1. Make essential oil synergy. You will want to make your essential oil synergy first so it is ready to go when needed. See recipes above. You will be using all of the synergy in the salve recipe.
2. Prepare double boiler by pouring water into the lower half and then placing the clean dry upper half on top. Place double boiler on stove at medium heat.
3. Weigh beeswax and add into pot so it can begin melting.
4. Measure vegetable oil/s. Set to the side until the beeswax is almost melted and then add them into the pot.
5. Stir with fork to ensure that the ingredients are well combined.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Add essential oil synergy into the melted salve and stir well with fork.
8. Pour salve into clean glass jars. Place lids on salve jars and allow to harden. This can take a little time so perhaps now is a good time to enjoy a cup of tea!
9. Once the salve is ‘hardened’, it is ready to use.
10. Clean the outside of the jar with alcohol or your all purpose cleaning spray, then apply label. **I used the 2″ circle from online labels.
Your Respiratory Salve is now ready to give and/or use!